Saturday, June 28, 2008

Gardening - Background




For Christmas, Leslie got my dad a book called "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver. I started reading it while I was at Leslie's during the holidays, and enjoyed what I read. A few months later, I bought my own copy and read the rest.
I loved it. I call it my hippie book, because it changed my view on food economics, and made me want to run off, live in the woods, and hug trees.
I really can't adopt that lifestyle at this point in my life, but the book did influence me to start my own garden. And in February 2008, I went to the store, bought a bunch of seeds, and started growing peppers and tomatoes. I ended up with way too many seedlings, gave a bunch to coworkers, lost some peppers in my attempt to move them outdoors. (Oops, I should have holes in the bottom of that container.) And now I have some little cherry tomatoes growing on my surviving tomato plants.

No comments: